Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Sittard in the spring is particularly beautiful. After months of scurrying to the bagel shop to escape the cold, today the girls and I walked along the narrow path between the homes of Putstraat and the little fenced off gardens hiding behind.

We hadn't walked back there since late fall, so it felt good in the sun to see something other than the usual concrete. The chickens and sheep were out and people were working in their gardens clearing out old branches as they pruned their trees. Pruning is as common here as buying a pumpkin on Halloween. It's just something that anyone with a tree or bush does. And many of them are polarded (chopped off entirely to a fat little ball at the top from where it will fill out in the spring) or espaliered (with certain branches fanned out along wired creating a flat fence of tree).

All the bare sticks now have little tiny buds and soft green leaves emerging from them. I enjoyed seeing the contrast of this hydrangea - with the dried blooms from last season existing along side the new leaves of spring.

Farmers for the last couple weeks have been out in full force. Every field is sprinkled with tractors of all kinds. Just last week the spargel (asparagus) rows appeared. Then - 7 days later - the snow fell.

So, here's the contrast - photos above from last Monday when it was warm. I wore a light sweater and sandals with my jeans. It was comfortable. This Monday is snowed and now it's bitterly cold snowing, hailing, or sleeting a little bit every day.

This was the third snow of this winter, but the first time I've had a chance to photograph it. So, below are a couple photos of the snow covered spargel rows. I wish I'd had the chance to photograph the daffodils bowing under the weight of small piles of snow balancing on their heads like white knit caps. They were funny to see and would have captured the true feel of this season when one can go from warmth to snow in such a short time with no rhyme or reason.













0 comments:

About Me

Subscribe to this blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I LOVE MOO! Creative.

TW on FB

Quotes to consider...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."

-- Henry Ward Beecher

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton


The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson