Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Tomorrow I will add the photo - not a great photo as it was taken in a rush, but a photo nonetheless of a bird - a real, live, wild bird... IN MY HOUSE.
Because somehow it got in, possibly because I forgot to latch the window yesterday after jumping through it and so in the night the wind blew it open and it stayed open - wide open - all night. And I have no idea where bird was hiding all morning as all 5 of us girls scurried around the house loudly.
I think it was waiting for some peace. Arianna and Luci had gone. Elise and I were on our way out the door. Tiara had just reached for the key to open the front door. And from the slauchthaus, I heard the blood curdling scream followed by hysterical crying and the approaching pounding of feet. "A bird!!!" Tiara yells red faced and panicked. I didn't see her again. She went out the back of the house refusing to come back in while I went inside with Elise to figure out what to do.
I rounded the corner from the dining room to look upstairs and there it sat - right where Misha usually sits on the top step near the playroom just as if he belonged there. A moment later he flew into the playroom - great choice for me because it has the lowest ceilings in the whole house.
The bird chase probably only lasted about 5 minutes. It flew to each high point, then crouched down in a corner under the heater. I opened the window wide for it to fly out and tried to push it gently with an old puzzle board. So it flew up to the wrong side of the window and kept flying into it. Tiara was watching from the bus stop.
The poor thing was terrified. Elise was worried, but cheering me on. I was worried I'd be stuck there all day chasing a bird around my house.
Then he flew into our children's pie cabinet and hid behind the curtain. Cornered. So I grabbed a hand towel, reached in, picked him up, talked to him a second because I'd never held a wild bird like that and he was so beautiful with bright blue eyes, and then set him on the outside ledge of our window and watched him fly off into the closest tree. Poor guy. I think he's scarred for life.
When Tiara got home she asked me if I saw whether it was a girl or a boy. "No, why???!?!"
"If it was a girl, she could have built a nest and laid eggs!"

My other three all cheered and hugged me and thanked me for "saving the bird." It's probably good the middles weren't home. They would have wanted to keep it.
And... in other news, the first grade had their Vocabulary Parade today where they dressed up as their word, made a poster, and told the word and definition into the microphone on stage. Luci chose "habitat" and dressed like the Arctic tundra pulling a block of "ice" behind her with a polar bear and three penguins.
I think it was waiting for some peace. Arianna and Luci had gone. Elise and I were on our way out the door. Tiara had just reached for the key to open the front door. And from the slauchthaus, I heard the blood curdling scream followed by hysterical crying and the approaching pounding of feet. "A bird!!!" Tiara yells red faced and panicked. I didn't see her again. She went out the back of the house refusing to come back in while I went inside with Elise to figure out what to do.
I rounded the corner from the dining room to look upstairs and there it sat - right where Misha usually sits on the top step near the playroom just as if he belonged there. A moment later he flew into the playroom - great choice for me because it has the lowest ceilings in the whole house.
The bird chase probably only lasted about 5 minutes. It flew to each high point, then crouched down in a corner under the heater. I opened the window wide for it to fly out and tried to push it gently with an old puzzle board. So it flew up to the wrong side of the window and kept flying into it. Tiara was watching from the bus stop.
The poor thing was terrified. Elise was worried, but cheering me on. I was worried I'd be stuck there all day chasing a bird around my house.
Then he flew into our children's pie cabinet and hid behind the curtain. Cornered. So I grabbed a hand towel, reached in, picked him up, talked to him a second because I'd never held a wild bird like that and he was so beautiful with bright blue eyes, and then set him on the outside ledge of our window and watched him fly off into the closest tree. Poor guy. I think he's scarred for life.
When Tiara got home she asked me if I saw whether it was a girl or a boy. "No, why???!?!"
"If it was a girl, she could have built a nest and laid eggs!"
And... in other news, the first grade had their Vocabulary Parade today where they dressed up as their word, made a poster, and told the word and definition into the microphone on stage. Luci chose "habitat" and dressed like the Arctic tundra pulling a block of "ice" behind her with a polar bear and three penguins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Unknown
Subscribe to this blog!
TW on FB
Quotes to consider...
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein
What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf
A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
-Albert Einstein
What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf
A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Labels
- animals (1)
- antique (7)
- Aragon (1)
- Books (1)
- carnival (13)
- castle (12)
- Churches (1)
- Comunidad Valenciana (21)
- contest (1)
- culture - Other (1)
- Culture Canadian (1)
- Culture Dutch (4)
- Culture German (60)
- Culture Greek (1)
- Culture Italian (9)
- Culture Norwegian (1)
- Culture Portuguese (1)
- Culture Romanian (3)
- Culture Spanish (46)
- Culture Turkish (5)
- Drive By Shootings (1)
- fallas (8)
- Family (10)
- food (55)
- grantourismo (1)
- Halloween (1)
- holidays (1)
- HomeAway (1)
- kids (141)
- Life In Germany (543)
- Life in Spain (343)
- Market (9)
- military (4)
- Netherlands South Limburg (18)
- oceanografic (1)
- Pets (7)
- Photos Mostly (39)
- quotes (10)
- Randomness (15)
- recipe (50)
- Something Strange (9)
- Travel - Germany (3)
- Travel - Hungary (2)
- Travel - Portugal (7)
- Travel - USA (14)
- Travel Austria (5)
- Travel Beach (9)
- Travel Belgium (9)
- Travel France (16)
- Travel Luxembourg (1)
- Travel Netherlands (6)
- Travel Spain (26)
- Valencia (35)
0 comments: