Monday, January 08, 2007
A couple nights ago while cuddling with Elise and trying to get her to settle down, I began to think how marvelous it would be to have a big bag of light green ping pong balls at my side. The next night I laid there armed with a nice round red plastic tomato. Last night I had plastic grapes.

Thankfully, I haven't had to use them yet and I am still on the lookout for those ping pong balls. So that, while trying to get the three little ones to bed, I can just gently lodge a ping pong ball in the direction of the popping, snapping, clicking, kicking child across the room so that the gentle tap of the harmless ball can act as a firm reminder that her mother is in the room and it's time to be quiet.

May be it's just the long vacation and being out of the routine, but the strange nighttime noises are pretty much driving me crazy. Elise will be almost asleep when I hear a wall-shaking YAWN. My reflexive reaction is SHHHHHHH. The reply is always, "I was yawning!" said in the loudest whisper possible.

I know it's a phase. They won't do it when they are 16. I hope. So the problem now is just making it that long without losing my sleep-deprived mind.

(Update: The ping pong dreams have not subsided. At least 1/3 of the nights, I lay there with three little girls loudly whispering questions to me like, "what are we going to do tomorrow," "Can I have a fruit roll-up in my lunch," and "Pssst, Mom, can I have a pony someday?" Shh. Shhhh. Shhhhhh. The other night I did resort to tossing a beanie baby across the room at Luci. It kind of worked - for a couple seconds anyway. Let me know if you find any green ping pong balls.)

0 comments:

About Me

Subscribe to this blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I LOVE MOO! Creative.

TW on FB

Quotes to consider...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."

-- Henry Ward Beecher

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton


The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson