Friday, July 20, 2007
The kids have been up until 11 or later most nights. I've been up until 1 or 2. Then we all sleep in and pretend it's morning at 1 in the afternoon. Tonight we had pancakes at 5. Until today I was actually feeling a little guilty about not going out and doing 1001 exciting things, but then I looked at my calendar and remembered how hectic life was in June. It is ok to have a month of rest, I think.
And nothing isn't nothing. The girls are still riding horses two days a week and loving every moment of it. These horses are becoming our friends. We bring them carrots. We're learning their names and temperaments. It's good for all us girls. Today Tiara wasn't riding, so she got to lead both Luci and Elise around the hall on Ida. I ended up helping out as well for a while leading Mimi around with a young girl. It was fun, but I was ill prepared with sandals and a flowery skirt enjoying the horse time, but feeling embarrassingly conspicuous with my tapestry purse slung over one shoulder and my skirt swishing in the dust. Next time I'll dress more appropriately just in case. It is nice to jump in and be a part.
We're all learning German better. It just kind of happened. I still do not speak it brilliantly, but lately, it's just seemed easier which is nice. Arianna, even out of school now, is still learning quickly, asking Tinny always what the words are for things and her little sisters both copy her, learning the language in play effortlessly.
Today I took a couple of friends to GK for a tour since they are both new here and we stopped at my favorite cafe not once but twice. That's my ideal day - shopping in a cappuccino sandwich (coffee, shopping, then coffee again). I did forget to put my "parkshine" thingy in my window though and got a whoppin' 5Euro ticket. Yeah! Could be so much more. Oh, and we saw the cheese guy at the market. He is GREAT! Last time I saw him we tried probably 5 cheeses, one of which was so soft and reeking of armpit stench, that I could hardly get it down. Today, we only tried three, but they were all delicious enough to eat again, so I brought one home. I'd really like for him to cater a wine and cheese party. His French cheese selection could inspire poetry. (Couple it with a good wine and we might just have a song comin' on.)
Anyway... my week in a nutshell. Our IWC night is now only 69 days away, so that will begin to occupy some time as I plan. And, in my "free time" instead of finishing up the Austria and Normandy blogs, I've begun a new one entirely for the local area. If you're curious, check out this site, yet another way I spend my late-night hours: www.livingingk.blogspot.com I'm also keeping up the IWC blog I created: www.iwcogk.blogspot.com
Aside: While I will not be a slave to spelling, respectful to authors like Lewis Carroll who could make up a word or two, I must protest the addition of inane, dumbified, words of the mindless massing sneaking their way into our English language. This rant is brought on by two things: 1) The official addition of "ginormous" into Webster's dictionary (roll, Webster, roll) and 2) The fact that I used the word "thingy" to find that it was not incorrect, but a recognized word with a "correct" spelling. So, yes, languages evolve. I get that. And, in some ways it's good. I am eternally grateful that I don't have to speak like a King James Bible to be understood, but I wish that at least half of our American population could remember their 7th grade vocabulary tests and that moronic words like ginormous and thingy would remain, just that, moronic slang. To the authors of any future "word a day" calendars, please leave these two out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Unknown
Subscribe to this blog!
TW on FB
Quotes to consider...
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein
What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf
A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
-Albert Einstein
What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf
A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Labels
- animals (1)
- antique (7)
- Aragon (1)
- Books (1)
- carnival (13)
- castle (12)
- Churches (1)
- Comunidad Valenciana (21)
- contest (1)
- culture - Other (1)
- Culture Canadian (1)
- Culture Dutch (4)
- Culture German (60)
- Culture Greek (1)
- Culture Italian (9)
- Culture Norwegian (1)
- Culture Portuguese (1)
- Culture Romanian (3)
- Culture Spanish (46)
- Culture Turkish (5)
- Drive By Shootings (1)
- fallas (8)
- Family (10)
- food (55)
- grantourismo (1)
- Halloween (1)
- holidays (1)
- HomeAway (1)
- kids (141)
- Life In Germany (543)
- Life in Spain (343)
- Market (9)
- military (4)
- Netherlands South Limburg (18)
- oceanografic (1)
- Pets (7)
- Photos Mostly (39)
- quotes (10)
- Randomness (15)
- recipe (50)
- Something Strange (9)
- Travel - Germany (3)
- Travel - Hungary (2)
- Travel - Portugal (7)
- Travel - USA (14)
- Travel Austria (5)
- Travel Beach (9)
- Travel Belgium (9)
- Travel France (16)
- Travel Luxembourg (1)
- Travel Netherlands (6)
- Travel Spain (26)
- Valencia (35)
0 comments: