Wednesday, November 28, 2007
(In the photo... Holly is the second from the right. Hannelore is next to her in pink. Molly is in red in the center. Eleanore Boyse next to Molly with a blue shirt. And Vera is on the end with a red shirt.)

Last year about this time I had the amazing privilege of attending a "coffee" at the Consular General's home in Dusseldorf. Along with some other ladies from our base, we talked with Mrs. Boyse and met with other leaders in the American women's groups from Dusseldorf and Cologne. It was then that I met Hannelore.

Hannelore stood out that day. She wasn't an American and wasn't typical in that crowd. She was beautiful and well dressed - like the others there, but her exuberance was special. The second she found out that I had lived in Seattle, we had an instant connection. She and her husband lived there too for a time and we both enjoyed reminiscing about that time together. I met and talked with a lot of ladies that day, but only two have kept in touch and one is Hannelore.

In May when a bunch of the ladies came here to tour our base, Luci was sick, so Hannelore talked with my friend, Holly.

So, not long ago I got a very nice email from Hannelore inviting me to her annual Christmas coffee, and "bring your friend that I met in May." Then I got two invitations in the mail. One for me and another printed for "my friend."
You know... there are just things that you don't turn down. It wouldn't have mattered what was scheduled and no distance is really too far. The exchanges that happen here are amazing. And... sometimes, it's just good to get out of "Mayberry."

Gussied up and excited, Holly and I drove about 75 minutes to beautiful storybook neighborhood street in a quaint suburb of Dusseldorf. We knocked on her door and the answer was not immediate, so not seeing anyone there, we were a bit apprehensive. Could we have been wrong? But it was the right place. The invitation sat on the guestbook on the table we could see through the glass by the door. And then we saw her smiling, walking briskly to the door, then opening it and immediately embracing me so warmly. It was amazing. She was so genuinely happy to see us. And it was wonderful. We don't get that often here - especially from the German people who are kind, but usually more reserved.

A small group of ladies were talking in the living room where we were offered a small glass of orange juice. The white house was immaculate and beautifully decorated. Her living room looked out to her garden full of rhododendrons and "happy birds." We were graciously introduced to the others, then a few minutes later led to a beautifully set table in her blue and white dining room - pale blue and white thickly striped wall paper, white china, dried hydrangeas, an antique Austrian ceramic stove, and a elegant advent wreath hanging from white satin ribbons set with white candles. We all sat, then Hannelore got our attention and explained each of the desserts on the table - the coconut topped cake that is traditional in her family, the small violin sugar cookies since violins are played in her family, the almond topped cake, and the traditional rice cake from Aachen served with berries and whipped cream. "And I cut the pieces small so that you can try all of them," she says. And so I did.

I love my village. I love my friends. I am so blessed and truly thankful for this place. But this was such a needed respite. We do live in Mayberry and while there are absolutely phenomenal women where we live - most of them are sadly underutilized. It was both inspiring and refreshing to sit conversing in a room of intelligent women completely outside my normal circle who are not limited by anything. They probably eat nails for breakfast and move mountains daily, but move and speak with style and grace. Molly, I'd met before and we talked about getting our groups together. Eleanore came in late, but we also had a chance to talk. She is trying very hard to ease relations between the Turkish and German people here. It always surprises me how genuine and unassuming she is while also playing a very important roll here. Vera, I spoke to at the end. She's was a Fulbright scholar in the 60's - married to a German doctor here and has started a very successful philanthropic organization meeting needs in the Ukraine and supporting a high school there.

After our treats, we went around sharing stories. Some read, some told stories, some showed childhood books. Hannelore has three boys - two of which are twins, so she has greatly enjoyed the work of David Henry Wilson who writes very humorously about a young boy. Her British friend, Ingrid, graciously read a Christmas chapter of Triple Trouble with Jeremy James and we all laughed thinking of our own children. One of the German ladies there told us that in southern Germany that it is Kris Kringle that comes and that the Weinachtsman is something from the North. To us, they are both Santa, but it is called different things in different parts of Germany. Then she shared a beautiful old book that she had as a girl by Adolf Holst called Hans Wundersan - one of those sweet stories with beautiful illustrations from the 1940's. I'm going to look for a copy for Elise since she's learning the language so well.
There are so many moments here. Sweet, wonderful moments. And today - with those people in that home - was one of those long moments when I could relax and enjoy without worry or stress and absorb it all. Different cultures and precious connections. Hannelore and I promised each other not to let another year go by. She is one of those special people.

0 comments:

About Me

Subscribe to this blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I LOVE MOO! Creative.

TW on FB

Quotes to consider...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."

-- Henry Ward Beecher

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton


The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson