Thursday, May 08, 2008
Today Luci got off the bus holding a carefully folded Kleenex square about 2" wide. It had a small piece of tape sealing it on one side and on the front was neatly written, "BUG."

After watching her take care of that small bug on the walk the other day, I was a little worried. Then she brought it home, carefully opened up the tissue, exclaimed sorrowfully that the head had fallen off, and then showed me the HUGE beetle with the sharp pointy behind and the very large separated head. She held it. She touched it. She carefully lifted up it's wing to see under it. She's completely mesmerized by it, interested in it, and not a bit frightened by it.

Then I got the note written on a small yellow lined sticky note from her teacher,

5-8-08
Luci would like to research this bug and find out what it is
SL

I know that when Kirk gets back from Poland, he'll laugh and say that Luci is me. She certainly has a fascination with nature. And I did let loose a GIANT bright green spiky caterpillar in my neighbor's car when I was about Luci's age. Somehow age has taught me the ickiness of creepy crawlies. Luci's going to reteach me their beauty.

Yes, we still have the bug - both parts. He's safe in a little box lid waiting further study. I'm off to look for my insect book. I got it when I was about Luci's age.


P.S. I just finally posted the IWC Italian night which includes two great new recipes!

http://estrogenpalace.blogspot.com/2008/04/iwc-italian-night-volare.html

0 comments:

About Me

Subscribe to this blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I LOVE MOO! Creative.

TW on FB

Quotes to consider...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."

-- Henry Ward Beecher

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton


The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson