Wednesday, January 28, 2009
While most Gillrathians are quick about getting down Christmas decorations by the first of the year (there aren't that many - just the occasional wreath or the inflatable Santa hanging out of upper story windows), the autoshop here isn't so efficient. Their gaudy red car covered in lights held on by clear packing tape is still sitting there in front of the shop, in plain view of passers by, and in plain view of my house. Thank goodness they don't turn on the lights. It's quite garrish.

In contrast, my tulips are still pretty! :)

My first year here I griped continually about the weather and vowed to keep my mouth shut a while and just deal with it. Well, let me complain just this once that while I am extremely grateful for our last few days of sun, the painful, bitter cold has lasted long enough and I am done! Go away winter! I'm ready for spring as are the farmers who have all lovingly preaned their fields and perfumed them with cow poop (gotta love the smell of spring).

Today I did warm myself with a latte at my favorite cafe and enjoyed a visit with an Italian and a Turkish friend. We talked about Christmas, family, and universities. I learned that in Turkey there is one day each year when all the students take a test. All students prepared take the same test on the same day. This is THE test. If you score very high, you can choose what you want to do. If you score low, then your choice is made for you. What was explained to me is that you look at where your score falls on the list and that will essentially tell you what your choices are for career and if a university is in your future (so careers are ranked according to difficulty and your score determines what jobs your capable of?). If you can't live with your score, then you can wait a year, study harder and take the test again. My Italian friend said that unlike our system where you can take a test like the MCAT and then apply for several schools, they also all take the same test on the same day and you can only apply for one. So, if you don't get in, too bad. It seems harsh. There's also a limit of how many doctors can be trained - we have a limit too, but it's a bigger number. She said theirs is something like 100.

0 comments:

About Me

Subscribe to this blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I LOVE MOO! Creative.

TW on FB

Quotes to consider...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."

-- Henry Ward Beecher

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton


The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson