Tuesday, October 26, 2010
 

Inside a secure building where Calle de Paz crosses Calle Comedias lies one of Valencia's oldest bars and an elegant restaurant with dark wood along the walls and enormous chandeliers.  Part of the "Real  Sociedad Valenciana de Agricultura y Deportes," a society that began in 1777 to promote agriculture, it's occupied the same building since 1859. 
I arrived today at 1320 to meet friends at 1400.  The large wooden doors are always locked.  I pulled, must have looked horribly confused, then heard the familiar buzz as the doorman buzzed me in.  I entered to see a nice entryway sitting room and with large mirrors on one side and a glassed in room to my left where the doorman sat with screens monitoring the building.  He says the restaurant doesn't open until two.  I don't see my friends.  I open up my book and wait. My friends are late.  Quite late, actually, but it's Spain and lateness here isn't really as much rude as it is convention.  I really must learn this here.  On time is one thing, but early?  Obnoxious.  
They show and we wait a few more minutes in the bar where older men in business suits sip beer and read the newspaper.  The bar is a smooth dark wood with just enough worn spots to show it's age and a shiny surface that makes you want to slide your glass down the bar like they do in the movies.  I sip my wine politely and avoid the temptation.  The restaurant itself is full of finely dressed people talking in quiet, civilized tones.  The chandeliers are bright.  The waiters prompt and courteous.  A small reservation sign is at our table.  Elisa's husband is a member here, so we'll all eat at a little better price today.  The set menu includes a first and second course, a dessert, and coffee. 

                                                        Primer Plato:  Chicken salad with Brie  My chicken salad is light and delicious.  The chicken comes lightly breaded and fried matching the wedges of runny cheese along side it so that I'm not really sure which I'll bite into.  They are both excellent. 
Loli's Primero Plato:  Fried egg with tomato and toast. 
My friend orders something she says is traditional, but this is the first time I've seen it - a fried egg with tomato.  I'm not an egg person, but she makes it look good.  

 Loli's Segundo Plato

Loli had this steak and potatoes.  It smelled delicious and she didn't offer to share this time.   


Segundo Plato:  The tuna with veggies.
 
The paella comes highly recommended from friends, but I had the tuna which was served with flavorful vegetables cooked soft, but not mushy.   Light, yet filling, this healthier choice would balance out the guilt of dessert.  Or at least I hoped. 

An intensely flavored, not overly sweet, chocolate cake
 This delicious tarta de chocolate is moist and loaded with flavor.  Topped with a dark chocolate espresso ganache, each moist crumb screams chocolate.  Served warm with whipped cream, the portion was perfect, but I really could have eaten two.  Perhaps I'll skip the fish next time.   Conversations with Elisa never falter and today we were meeting with her Canadian friend, Loli, so we sat and chatted at our caffinated woman speed for hours randomly switching between English and Spanish even mid-sentence until the train schedule and the end of the school day pulled me back to reality.  Such a nice afternoon, sitting with amazing women in this place steeped in tradition and luxury.


AgriculturaC/Comedias 12ValenciaTel:  96 394 1226Webwww.rsvad.com Open:  Lunch 1400-1600 Monday - Sunday; Dinner 2100-2400 Tuesday - Saturday 

0 comments:

About Me

Subscribe to this blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I LOVE MOO! Creative.

TW on FB

Blog Archive

Quotes to consider...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."

-- Henry Ward Beecher

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton


The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson