Thursday, November 26, 2009
I'm thankful for two wonderful new friends who have brought my out of my hermitage. Two amazing ladies with whom the conversation never stops nor dulls. Who were introduced this Thanksgiving morning to my favorite coffee shop where we had a delicious cafe con leche since we all agreed that the Spanish just don't have the hang of cappuccino yet - no where except Starbucks, but who wants to go there when you can go local?

I'm thankful for the lady who was kind enough last week to drive all the way to Madrid to pick up turkeys and hams for all the Americans here. Thanksgiving day here and my kids are in school, my husband is working, but the house is getting cleaned by a sweet Romanian woman who comes once a week. I am very thankful for her. She left a foil package on my counter. Wolf's Tooth in her language. English? We don't know. But Tiara was sick last week, so Rosica brought this today. "Make it into a tea," she says. "It is good for the stomach." Clean house and pizza for dinner.

Thanksgiving, but we're not celebrating today, so I'm thankful that Elise is attending another Spanish birthday party - this one at the school, so she was led directly from class at the end of the day to the cafeteria where there's a gym upstairs. I came an hour later, checked on her, then sat down at the parents table - something that there always seems to be. A table laden with good coffee, water, sodas, snacks, and a delicious lemon pound cake. I'm thankful that I met another Spanish lady - Lola's mom who is friendly, speaks English well, and wants to have coffee one day. Another friend? May be.

There's a lot to be thankful for every day. Not just Thanksgiving day.

1 comments:

Jess said...

I love this post. There is something to be thankful for everyday. And beauty, there is beauty everyday.

Sometimes, when the dog is needy and the kid is cranky, it's the overwhelming number of small things that makes me realize the number of things for which I have to give thanks.

About Me

Subscribe to this blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I LOVE MOO! Creative.

TW on FB

Quotes to consider...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."

-- Henry Ward Beecher

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton


The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson