Friday, November 20, 2009
So there are days when I feel amazing, confident, and wear the crown of Domestic Goddess with pride. And there are days when I feel like the wicked witch with the house collapsing on me, enslaved to chores with no end.

This week I had both... Monday, a goddess, cleaned, scrubbed, redecorated, cooked - even made home made focaccia, and entertained a new friend. Monday was good. Monday I was in charge.

Today, the dog knocked over the strawberry jam, so I had to pick jam covered glass out of her mouth and off the freshly mopped (then remopped) floor. Then, running late because it was one of "those" mornings, I opened my gate to find that some critter had torn open one of the LARGE garden bags full of smaller bags of kitchen garbage and decorated the street with orange and avocado skins all in front of my home. Nice. This is because the 6 plus large vans that have been parked outside my house for the last 2 week solid working on the house across the street keep parking slightly in front of my gate and block the trash, so the garbage men too lazy to really look, obviously missed it. Kids to school, then I'm outside my house with a broom and dustpan glaring at the workers and sweeping up moldy nasty garbage. The cat won't stop playing with my computer cables, the dog keeps barking, and I really think I ought to just climb back into bed. It's one of "those" days already.

At least it's just this one day. The rest of the week was a dentist appointment with a new dentist for us who works in a building that requires identification and a security pass to get by reception. Dr. Gomez is a Spaniard whose first name is German. Pronounced Herr Mann, it is particularly funny because he was born in Germany, lived there for 32 years, and speaks German better than Spanish or his near perfect English. Nice guy, nice wife, good job. They got Elise to submit to her first full cleaning ever and by the time we left, Claudia, his wife, had arms covered in stickers and colorful ink autographs from my younger three.

Beyond dentists, I had the joy (really) of going to an International Spouses coffee and laughing with the other moms about the strange accent that our kids are learning. My little girls are speaking English in this strange sing songy way - speaking English as if they were speaking Spanish. But MaMAAA. Crazy. Also had a nice 2 hour coffee with a new friend - 2 hours of non-stop conversation. That was needed.

So, I'll count my blessings. A lot of garbage means we're well fed, right? And I do now have 3 hams and 5 turkeys divided amongst my three freezers. Life is good and I'm sort of ready for the holidays. Just need to order some candy canes.

0 comments:

About Me

Subscribe to this blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I LOVE MOO! Creative.

TW on FB

Quotes to consider...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."

-- Henry Ward Beecher

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton


The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson