Monday, December 18, 2006
There is a difference between being an American civilian and being part of the American military when you’re overseas and although I’m a civilian, I’m here with my military husband, so unlike most of the other NATO nations here who rely heavily on their consulates, we only use our consulate for birth certificates and passport issues and most of us never step foot in one.
Until now there has really been no communication between the military here and the consulate, but we have a new consular in Dusseldorf and his wife wants to reach out to the American women here. Last Thursday the base commander’s wife asked me if I would attend a coffee and meet with her. (And even though I wouldn't turn down an opportunity like this anyway, it is especially not ok to turn down a request by the base commanders wife - and this woman, in particular, is so wonderful, that I'd jump through hoops if she asked me. She just about has - as she thinks I should dress like Joan Clever for our American 50's night at the IWC - those photos won't be posted.)So this morning, I wore a suit I hadn’t worn in 9 years and went to the officer’s club for a coffee to discuss issues that are pertinent to American military dependents here at GK with the consular’s wife. There were six other ladies there and we all had a very nice visit discussing issues in a surprisingly open and relaxed atmosphere.

It was productive and interesting and I was honored, really, to be included.

So, that was my morning, then I ran home, changed, got Elise together, and drove to Aachen to meet the Kohlenberger’s for the day. Kirk was busy. Arianna and Luci were in school and had after-school arrangements made. Tiara was still home recovering from the chicken pox (better, but not ready to face her class with marks on her face). It was a nice outing with friends and with only one child to tote along.

Another photo opportunity – Elise rode the carousel.

We ate traditional market food – bratwurst that’s way too long for the brotchen that holds it, a waffle for Elise, and dampfnudeln for me. Dampfnudeln is a large white gooey dumpling covered in hot cherries and vanilla sauce. I’d never had one before, so this was a new experience and it was messy, but good. The market wasn’t horribly crowded and since I had absolutely nothing to buy, it was easy to just enjoy the ambience stress-free. We wandered down into the main shopping area too and saw some areas I hadn’t seen before – nice large pedestrian only shopping areas that I’ll return to for the January sales.














I wasn't out that late, but by 4 it's getting dark here, so there was an opportunity to get the night shots of the market. It really is beautiful with the rathaus in the background. The giant cookie boy is a printen - the cookie that Aachen is known for, the cookie that adorns it's windows all year round.

0 comments:

About Me

Subscribe to this blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I LOVE MOO! Creative.

TW on FB

Blog Archive

Quotes to consider...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."

-- Henry Ward Beecher

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton


The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson