Saturday, January 26, 2008
Pink persona - Father meets Pink
Yesterday, I started out as a responsible brunette running errands, volunteering at the girl's school, doing a 5K walk for charity, and attending a special story time with the girls.Then the wig went on and truly, I now believe that blonds have more fun! Pink is definitely more fun than being a brunette and wearing a wig is great! I love it!
Kirk, or shall I say, Father Kirk, and I went to the CSA Carnival party at the Officer's club on the base - got there about 1745. I got home at 0120. Crazy, but so fun. A lot of our friends went -- both American and non-American. The majority of the guests were either German or American, but there as a large group of Norwegians and Italians and one Spaniard.
The costumes were amazing - some people really go all out with professional looking hair and makeup. Last year we had a lot of Robin Hood costumes. This year seemed like more of a mix. We had folks from the 20's, 50's, 60's, and 70's - the pirates, the vikings, the European period folks in Renaissance garb or Roman armor. Napolean, clowns, devils, a band of Zorros, a tiger, and a strange Mozart mix. Oh... and we had Jup and Rosie - my good friends who dressed in traditional German garb and wore blond wigs. Ya ya!
Bellisimo dancing to Thriller - Elvis filming Elvis
And the entertainment is great too! I love the mix of bands and dance troupes. Just when you get tired of dancing, a new group of professionals come in to entertain. Then, as fast as they came and before they could possibly get bored, they go and either a new group comes on or the band is on for more dancing. Let's see... we had 3 bands, 2 Elvis impersonators, 2 tiny little solo dancers who could cartwheel without hands and touch their knees to their ears, 6 dance troupes that I can remember (could be more), a 95 year old Carnival club from Heinsburg with their king and queen, band and dancers, and 2 awards ceremonies where they give out very fancy medals to guests of honor and important participants in the party.
We had appetizers, a huge dinner with 4 meat entrees and all the sides, then an amazing dessert spread with delicious German tortes and donuts. Most people had at least 2 if not 4 large pieces stacked upon their plates. Delicious!
(If you can... enlarge the photo on the right - it's a great one!)
And the dancing. Normally I am extremely shy about dancing in public. I don't like it. I don't feel comfortable with it. Even at International Women's events, I usually try to stay in the back where people can't see me. But with the pink wig - it was different - like being on stage and playing a character. I played an outgoing, bubbly girl who couldn't stay off the dance floor. I danced the whole night and it was great!Funny moments: I still laugh at the music that even during this German holiday party, is 95% American from Beach Boys to Reggae, and Michael Jackson's Thriller to country western. And... the internationals seem to know it better than the Americans do. The oddest musical moment was later in the night when a tribal band got up and began to play and sing "Cumbaya" - a song we always used to sing around the camp fire at church camp each year. That morphed into "Ooga Chucka" which morphed into "A lion sleeps tonight." Crazy. It was funny to see the Elvis' together. The French '73 Elvis stood on the side videotaping the Danish '68 Elvis during the latter's first act.
I really need to sit down and talk to one of my German friends about Carnival. Each year I pick up a new bit of understanding, but the more I read the newspaper and glean bits of what's going on around the area, the less I know - or the less I understand. Each town has a Carnival Association that puts on the Rose Monday Parade, the costume ball, and the Altweiberball. Sometimes there are more activities planned, but there is always a Prince and sometimes a Princess and they dress in traditional red and white costumes. They bring with them dancers and bands and hand out medals. It's all fun, but taken extremely seriously and there seems to be a great pride there.
A dance group brought by the Heinsburg Carnival Association - The princess and prince of Heinsburg (at least during Carnival time)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Unknown
Subscribe to this blog!
TW on FB
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(156)
-
▼
January
(17)
- Carnival at the Kindergarten
- Hexenhaus mit Wald
- Sittard 's Kinderoptocht
- Carnival Pink!
- Krapfen - Carnival sweets!
- Jewelry
- Full Moon
- Sick
- Computer Geek
- Under the Weather....
- Goldfish and Shiny Money
- Star Singers
- Luci's Pockets - bits from Paris
- Updates...
- Recipe: Canadian Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Happy New Year!!
- New Year's Fireworks and Blues
-
▼
January
(17)
Quotes to consider...
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein
What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf
A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
-Albert Einstein
What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf
A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Labels
- animals (1)
- antique (7)
- Aragon (1)
- Books (1)
- carnival (13)
- castle (12)
- Churches (1)
- Comunidad Valenciana (21)
- contest (1)
- culture - Other (1)
- Culture Canadian (1)
- Culture Dutch (4)
- Culture German (60)
- Culture Greek (1)
- Culture Italian (9)
- Culture Norwegian (1)
- Culture Portuguese (1)
- Culture Romanian (3)
- Culture Spanish (46)
- Culture Turkish (5)
- Drive By Shootings (1)
- fallas (8)
- Family (10)
- food (55)
- grantourismo (1)
- Halloween (1)
- holidays (1)
- HomeAway (1)
- kids (141)
- Life In Germany (543)
- Life in Spain (343)
- Market (9)
- military (4)
- Netherlands South Limburg (18)
- oceanografic (1)
- Pets (7)
- Photos Mostly (39)
- quotes (10)
- Randomness (15)
- recipe (50)
- Something Strange (9)
- Travel - Germany (3)
- Travel - Hungary (2)
- Travel - Portugal (7)
- Travel - USA (14)
- Travel Austria (5)
- Travel Beach (9)
- Travel Belgium (9)
- Travel France (16)
- Travel Luxembourg (1)
- Travel Netherlands (6)
- Travel Spain (26)
- Valencia (35)
0 comments: