Tuesday, October 03, 2006
A couple weeks ago, I was talking with Andrea and we realized that we were both "craving" those wonderful Dutch pannekoeken that we'd eated a couple months ago together in Thorn. Since our husbands had last Tuesday off, we decided to take a trip back there together.

Thorn is small and really doesn't change, so there was no need to do the tour. We went directly to the pannekoeken place and headed to the keller (basement) where the play room was. It was dark as any proper keller should be, but off in a side room was a wonderful little climbing play structure for the kids. We were able to enjoy a wonderful meal and the kids ran back and forth grabbing a bite or two of food, then running off to play. It was the most peaceful meal I've had in a long time.

It was also the most expensive pancake meal I've ever had and I've firmly decided that while I love pannekoeken, I will definitely find a good recipe from a Dutch friend and forego eating there again. A pannekoeken for each, dessert pannekoeken, and drinks= $105. Cha-ching. Sorry visitors... you'll just have to have pancakes at my house.

But, if you're willing to be extravagent, you can go to Thorn for just about anything imaginable on a pancake... Mexican pancake, Gyro pancake, strawberries with whipped cream, ham with cheese and leaks, amaretto with fruit, etc... And you won't need to eat for a week. They are filling.

Post meal we stopped at a little antique store we'd been to once before. They have birds - not antique ones, real ones, so the girls were all entertained watching those while we browsed. There was nothing tempting, but I did like the old fashioned doorbell. It was a metal wheel with bells on it. A string ran from an arm on the wheel through the wall. Your visitor would pull the string and the belled wheel would spin sounding the bells. It was orange with rust, but interesting.


Kirk liked the old scythe and the rusty pitchfork. I thought that the antique ice skates would be great in his "man room" someday, but that began quite a long dialogue that ended up continuing at work among his friends. Apparently, ice skates, no matter how old, are not manly, and I, no matter how long we are married, am not allowed to decorate his "man room" at all. Fair enough... less work for me.

Walking back to the car we saw the same orange flowers I'd seen the week before in Sittard. They really are beautiful. And, I saw this old door with the 1648 above it. The funny thing is that houses here are absolutely built to last forever. I've seen several new brick homes here with dates above them as well... 2004 on one! But, in 100 years someone will walk by that house and think, "wow, that's an old house!" The last photo is of a window... nothing overly tremendous except that I am always interested in what people have in their windows. Windowsills are wider here and every window usually has some object d' art in it.

0 comments:

About Me

Subscribe to this blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I LOVE MOO! Creative.

TW on FB

Quotes to consider...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein

What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."

-- Henry Ward Beecher

It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton


The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson