Tuesday, July 07, 2009
I read the rules in our guest house guide today... quiet hours are, appropriately, from 9am until 11pm. Funny. But it’s quiet most of the time here with mostly happy voices of kids playing on the trampoline near our bungalow.
Today was slow. I was irritated once again by these tiny bodied black flies that look like specks with wings. They don’t bite or fly at you, but they are funny looking and just there. In the shower. Sitting on the wall. It’s like spiders on the ceiling. They may be well intentioned, but I still don’t trust them.
Tuesday now, it’s been 48 hours since we ran our first load of laundry here with a washer that does a barely adequate job and still, we have things, even cotton things, from that first load that aren’t dry on the racks outside. About three loads now sit on my patio... in the view of anyone who cares to walk by. Not my idea of privacy, but damp undergarments are also not an option. I miss a drier - the softness of the clothes, the light fragrance... the clothes on the rack are stiff and smell, well, not horrible, but not like the dryer sheets I like which translates into not clean smelling to me whether they are or not. But the water is hard here... a thick layer of white covering the walls of the bathtub among other things, so I think I’ll keep the washing to a minimum.
I did accomplish one thing today - to make a few dozen wrong turns onto and off of strangely intersecting highways that doubled what was supposed to be a quick drive to the American school where I finally arrived to find out that Tiara who was supposed to be the hardest to place, has a slot and the other three don’t. I’ll call again next week as I was told, and try to hold out hope, but if they don’t go there - in our neighborhood, then they’ll go to Cambridge house who has been the kindest on the phone and has slots for all 4, but don’t have bus service which translates into about 2 hours a day driving back and forth for me, not impossible, but not how I want to spend this next couple years in Spain either.
We (meaning I) tried to do something touristy today - to see an enormous castle ruin that sprawls out across a hill near our home, but 5 minutes away in full view, the kids whining got unbearable with all 4 in revolt, so I gave in to allow them a carefree evening of swimming and eating ice cream under the palms. Rough life they have.
My first experience with a celsius oven, I completely burnt the girls pizza. The coffee pot; however, was easier to manage and so I successfully made my first pot of Spanish coffee, a brand that I got at the Mercadona with a label of 4/5 - one of the stronger brews meant only for about 4 in the afternoon, but something I’ll drink any time I’m awake. Refreshing after the last few years of the bitter German stuff that is only good in macchiatto form or when Tinny makes it.
Typing this on my mac to post later or move later to Kirk’s computer hooked up on the island in the kitchen. We seem to have a WiFi cloud following us around Europe where we only book places with WiFi/internet and strike out almost every time. The computer guy was here over an hour just in my bungalow tonight. Couldn’t get his computer to work either. Finally told the owner that the WiFi is too old (3 years old) and can’t communicate with newer computers. May be by Monday, it will be fixed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Unknown
Subscribe to this blog!
TW on FB
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(175)
-
▼
July
(21)
- Canet de Berenger
- Twelve Paws
- San Antonio, Comunidad Valenciana, Espana
- Los Paraguayos
- Rain in Spain falls mainly, well, everywhere
- Nicanores de Bonar
- Day under Palms
- The House
- A day of nothing.
- PUzol Beach
- 14 in Valencia
- Relaxation
- Altebajos
- A day of nothing.
- Airing my laundry?
- Bienvenidos cansadas.
- Bienvenidos!
- Another day in the South of France
- Arianna's 8th on the French Med
- 7 hours plus a bit to Beziers
- Disney Paris
-
▼
July
(21)
Quotes to consider...
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein
What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf
A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
-Albert Einstein
What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf
A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Labels
- animals (1)
- antique (7)
- Aragon (1)
- Books (1)
- carnival (13)
- castle (12)
- Churches (1)
- Comunidad Valenciana (21)
- contest (1)
- culture - Other (1)
- Culture Canadian (1)
- Culture Dutch (4)
- Culture German (60)
- Culture Greek (1)
- Culture Italian (9)
- Culture Norwegian (1)
- Culture Portuguese (1)
- Culture Romanian (3)
- Culture Spanish (46)
- Culture Turkish (5)
- Drive By Shootings (1)
- fallas (8)
- Family (10)
- food (55)
- grantourismo (1)
- Halloween (1)
- holidays (1)
- HomeAway (1)
- kids (141)
- Life In Germany (543)
- Life in Spain (343)
- Market (9)
- military (4)
- Netherlands South Limburg (18)
- oceanografic (1)
- Pets (7)
- Photos Mostly (39)
- quotes (10)
- Randomness (15)
- recipe (50)
- Something Strange (9)
- Travel - Germany (3)
- Travel - Hungary (2)
- Travel - Portugal (7)
- Travel - USA (14)
- Travel Austria (5)
- Travel Beach (9)
- Travel Belgium (9)
- Travel France (16)
- Travel Luxembourg (1)
- Travel Netherlands (6)
- Travel Spain (26)
- Valencia (35)
0 comments: