Tuesday, June 10, 2008
But today I had to say an extremely sad "see you later" to one of the greats -- I think it's the saddest good-bye I've ever had to say to a friend.
It's silly... but I kind of think friends are like shoes. You know, we have different kinds of friends to fill those different needs in our life, so just as shoes come in different colors and styles, we have funny friends and coffee friends, friends we can cry with and friends that we shop with, friends we can be fancy with at the theater and friends we sweat with at the beach. Some of our friends might fill several niches just like my black slides can go with jeans or skirts... but it's rare when there is someone who can do it all. I thought I'd come close...
And then I came here and I met this crazy lady that, at first impression (for who knows what reason) seemed Canadian. And she taught me to laugh, but allowed me to cry and listened when things didn't make sense. She gave me to gift of reading and filled a prized corner of my bookshelves with amazing literary nuggets of wisdom and faith while inscribing them with her own. We shopped for antique oddities and Italian treasures. We traveled, shared a room with an amazing view, ate food so good we giggled, drank the best coffee and watched fancy old women who were simply fabulous. We shared moments. I could be honest to a fault. Catty and rude, silly and frivolous, or completely overly serious. And it was ok. She went with every mood, every occasion and we had fun. She's wise, but doesn't make me feel like a kid. And she always knows what I need to hear - not what I always want to hear. She has faith in me and won't let me be less than what I should. The cornerstone of the great triumvirate. My right hand and my left brain. That was Holly. That is Holly. And yes, I know it's not good-bye and I know I live in this amazing age of internet and cheap phone calls. But she is that magical pair of shoes that goes with everything. And now, what will I wear?
Living this life where I move every couple years, I know good-bye. Good-bye stops in frequently here, creating distance between family and friends, testing the bonds, making us cling to the memories we cherish as if they'd sprout legs and run. Good-bye sneaks up quickly with that sideways glance that is sometimes mocking, sometimes sinister, but always hard to read. I don't like him. I don't like "see you later" either. The computer is ok, but you can't hug it.
And if I'd had the slightest inkling of who this was when I met her by the rasta cows on Schliefweg that day, I would've knocked her over with a big hug right then and there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Unknown
Subscribe to this blog!
TW on FB
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(156)
-
▼
June
(20)
- Ruhe
- Spain takes the Euro Cup!!!!!!!
- Coal refuse... Hasta la vista... Go Spain!
- An end.
- Germany's Victory
- Fancy French Radiation: Only 500Euro
- IPS Picnic - an end AND a beginning
- Something strange...
- After midnight...
- Todays Coffee and Yesterday Photo Ops
- meme 123
- Shoes
- Vocabulary Parade
- Parties
- Kids
- Truths
- Gas
- Family Photos
- In the bushes
- Not goodbye
-
▼
June
(20)
Quotes to consider...
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
-Albert Einstein
What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf
A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
-Albert Einstein
What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. -- Anthony Robbins
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -- GK Chesterton
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. -- Virginia Woolf
A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body. -- anon
The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -- Paul Fix
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone … The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. ~Audry Hepburn
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Labels
- animals (1)
- antique (7)
- Aragon (1)
- Books (1)
- carnival (13)
- castle (12)
- Churches (1)
- Comunidad Valenciana (21)
- contest (1)
- culture - Other (1)
- Culture Canadian (1)
- Culture Dutch (4)
- Culture German (60)
- Culture Greek (1)
- Culture Italian (9)
- Culture Norwegian (1)
- Culture Portuguese (1)
- Culture Romanian (3)
- Culture Spanish (46)
- Culture Turkish (5)
- Drive By Shootings (1)
- fallas (8)
- Family (10)
- food (55)
- grantourismo (1)
- Halloween (1)
- holidays (1)
- HomeAway (1)
- kids (141)
- Life In Germany (543)
- Life in Spain (343)
- Market (9)
- military (4)
- Netherlands South Limburg (18)
- oceanografic (1)
- Pets (7)
- Photos Mostly (39)
- quotes (10)
- Randomness (15)
- recipe (50)
- Something Strange (9)
- Travel - Germany (3)
- Travel - Hungary (2)
- Travel - Portugal (7)
- Travel - USA (14)
- Travel Austria (5)
- Travel Beach (9)
- Travel Belgium (9)
- Travel France (16)
- Travel Luxembourg (1)
- Travel Netherlands (6)
- Travel Spain (26)
- Valencia (35)
0 comments: